Working with pictures and graphics in Microsoft Word is easy when you know what to do. Use the tips in this helpful editing guide and watch the tutorial video below to see just how easy it is.
Insert a Picture or Logo
- On the Insert menu, click on Picture, and then click From File.
- Browse to locate the picture you want to insert.
- Double-click the picture you want to insert.
Move a Picture or Graphic Anywhere on a Page
You may notice that you can’t move an inserted picture or graphic freely around on the page. This is an easy fix:
- Click on the Picture Tools tab.
- Under Arrange, select Text Wrapping.
- Choose In Front of Text.
Now, you can freely move the graphic around the page and move it to the desired location.
Move a Picture or Graphic Forward or Backward
If your photo or clip art is overlapping other graphics and text, you may want to move it forward or backward.
- Select the image.
- In the Picture Tools tab select Send to Back.
- Use these tools to move graphics forward and backward one position at a time, or all the way to the front or back.
Resize or Crop a Picture
When an image is too big for the space, or not the right shape, you’ll want to crop or scale it. Remember not to distort the image by sizing it up or adjusting from the edges. Scale the graphic down by clicking on a corner and moving your mouse inward towards the center of the image. If you just want to reduce the size on one or more sides, select the crop tool and use the handlebars to make the appropriate adjustment.
- Click the picture or shape you want to resize.
- Drag a sizing handle away from or toward the center.
- Select the picture that you want to crop.
- Under Picture Tools, on the Format tab, in the Size group, click Crop.
- Drag the cropping handles on that side or corner you want to adjust.
Note: Vector artwork can be scaled without loss of picture quality.
Make a Picture into a Shape
If you have the need, you can make your photo a circle or other shape.
- On the Insert tab, click on Shapes.
- Draw your shape on the page.
- Under the Drawing Tools tab, click Fill Shape and choose Picture.
- Navigate to the photo you would like to insert into your shape.
- Under the Drawing Tools tab, change the shape outline to no outline.
Edit the Color of a Shape or Clip Art
You can easily change the color of vector graphics or clip art in your layout.
- Select the graphic.
- Go to the Drawing Tools tab.
- Click on Shape Fill and select a color.
Watch the Video to See These Useful Tips in Action
Template Editing Guide for Word
For more detailed instruction on editing Word documents, visit StockLayouts Editing Guide for Microsoft Word.
More Graphic Design Resources
Get business marketing templates at StockLayouts.com.
Download free templates for Microsoft Word.